Does senna leaf help weight loss? What are the benefits of taking senna leaf tea as a laxative for losing weight? Does it really work? Here’s a researched guide on the results, reviews, benefits and how to use senna leaf for weight loss.
What is senna leaf?
- What is senna leaf?
- Does Senna Leaf Help People Lose Weight?
- How does senna work for slimming and fat loss?
- Health and losing weight benefits of senna leaves
- Senna tea for weight loss, fast fat loss
- How to use senna tea for weight loss, how to drink senna tea
- Senna laxative tea and weight loss
- Senna tea weight loss side effects
- Senna weight loss pills, dosage, tablet reviews, do they work?
What is senna leaf and why is it used for weight loss? Senna is a name that originates from Arabic. Senna is known to be a leafy shrub with two species used in herbal remedies: cassia occidentalis and ditremexa occidentalis. The cassia is a laxative herb from the leaves and pods of the senna shrub that grows in India, Pakistan and China.
Does Senna Leaf Help People Lose Weight?
Is Senna leaf good for weight loss? Senna leaf has been found to have benefits particularly to those struggling to shed off some pounds.
Having being identified as a traditional folk remedy for stomach upset, its popularity has been on the rise as a dietary supplement for weight loss.
- How to lose a double chin quickly
- Flaxseed for weight loss
- How to use chia seeds to lose weight fast
[divider style=”solid” top=”20″ bottom=”20″]
In fact its distribution is based on the fact it can help lose weight. This claim might be true technically, then why is it not your number one option?
Over the centuries it has been known to relieve constipation and its painful effects. With its use on the continued rise, herbalists and natural nutritionists have invented ways of taking this herb for convenience. It could be taken as tea, a capsule or a juice drink. It is also used as an ingredient in milk; it has lactose that makes it easy for kids to move their bowels.
How does senna work for slimming and fat loss?
Senna leaves or pods contain a variety of chemicals known as sennosides. Sennosides irritate the lining of the bowel thus causing a laxative effect. So, how does it work to help in slimming and fat loss? In two major ways, this plant will help in faster weight loss. Here’s how it works as referenced from Health Guide HQ.
- Senna has diuretic properties. This makes it good for flushing excess water and other fluids in the body. Like Epsom salt uses for slimming, it will help you lose excess water weight and make you lose weight fast.
- Senna cleanses the colon. This helps with fat loss and slimming because it reduces waste products in the body, including toxic ones, which are known to cause not only weight gain but also cellulitis.
One of the side effects of this is that, in the process you are likely to experience bowel movements more often and in greater volumes.
Health and losing weight benefits of senna leaves
Other than the above, there are other benefits of senna leaves, its pods and tea that you will enjoy. Fast weight loss and fat loss are not the only ones you will get. Note that this plant is possibly safe during pregnancy, though should be taken in the right dosage to avoid problems. Here are the health benefits.
- Bowel stimulation: When included in your diet, the herbs are known to relieve constipation in approximately 12 hours. Being a natural stimulant, the herb should be taken at the lowest possible dosage until you are certain your body will respond to it positively. It works by causing bowel movements periodically and more often.
- Weight loss: To have healthy and sustainable weight loss, it has a purging action especially when taken as tea, which helps to cleanse the colon and reduce the amount of waste held within the body. Its diuretic properties aid in flushing of excess water and fluids from the body, which results to fast weight loss.
- Improving digestive health: as a result of bowel stimulation, the colon is cleansed thereby reducing amount of waste from the body.
Senna tea for weight loss, fast fat loss
Does senna tea help with weight loss? Do they work? The fundamental principle behind this leaves, is its laxative effect it has once included in the diet. The basic knowledge behind weight loss considered to be healthy by medics comes from burning more calories than you eat .In most cases when this happens, the body makes up the difference by accessing extra calories you ate earlier and stored fat.
Senna pod tea, how to make, prepare for slimming
Most people like to take herbal preparation in the form of tea. Senna tea comes in teabags and can easily be found in health food stores.
Some people prefer to use the leaves of senna and brew the tea themselves. The basic procedure for making the tea simply entails steeping the leaves in a pot of boiling water for approximately ten minutes.
Similarly, the leaves can be also be put in cold water and steeped f or 10 to 12 hours. The method used should not be of major concern, but it is recommended to use cold water to steep the leaves as this will leave less resin in the tea, so the chances of abdominal cramping will be reduced. Once the tea is ready, strain and drink.
How to use senna tea for weight loss, how to drink senna tea
The tea that comes from the leaves contain ingredients that works as part of a weight loss plan and also help improve the digestive health from its natural ability to works a laxative. It is important to keep in mind that the benefits are marketed by manufacturers of senna tea and yet to be evaluated by the Food and Drugs Administration. It is therefore prudent to consult with your physician before you use senna tea in order to lose weight.
Here’s how to use senna leaf tea for weight loss. Drinking the tea is said to have better effects than other ways of consuming the laxative.
- In 1 ½ cups of boiled water ,place the senna tea bag and you are advised to brew for 5 minutes or more. You may add lemon to flavor the tea I f you so desire.
- A recommended dosage for daily consumption as prescribed is twice daily – once in the morning and again late in the afternoon. Most companies offer decaffeinated blend, therefore your sleeping habits would not be affected at all.
- For effective digestion, it is advisable to eat a lighter diet; you should mostly consume green salads, lean proteins like chicken and fish. If you must eat snacks, consider whole- grain breads and fruits. Taking plenty of water throughout the day is recommended.
- If you have to drop pounds, you will have to do more than just taking the tea.
- It is advisable to exercise while using the senna tea, try to do some aerobics preferably running, swimming or cycling. It could last between 30 to 60 minutes.
Senna laxative tea and weight loss
According to Drugs.com, senna is a laxative that is commonly used as a natural remedy for constipation. This laxative works by irritating the lining of your bowels to produce a laxative effect. It is from that effect that the leaf is used as a treatment for constipation.
Probably you are wondering, why is a laxative like senna included in a diet product? Senna helps bring a balance to your lifestyle. As a natural laxative, it aids in constipation that occurs with some loss weight loss diets, in particular those with low fiber.
Importantly the flavored solution helps you to increase fluid intake, research shows that taking more fluids (either during the day before meals and/or in the evening instead of snacks) reduces eating more.
Senna tea weight loss side effects
Having read this article, you certainly have the useful information on how to reduce weight. You might be considering drinking some tea made of from the leaves of the senna plant to help speed along your bowel movements. It may be helpful in treating constipation and consequently and having an effect on faster weight loss.
As with other laxatives, senna tea could cause the following potential side effects to the users:
- Persistent or severe stomach pains, diarrhea and cramps.
- Overdependence on the use: according to Medline Plus, should you use this product for more than two weeks, it has been noted that your body could become depend on it, thereby causing your bowel to no longer function properly.
- How does this happen? From the health experts, such long term use could cause an electrolyte imbalance as result of low potassium levels. This could have adverse effect on muscles making them weak. It has also been noted that liver damage or heart problems could arise.
- Bloody stool: continuous taking the senna tea causes irritation along colon walls, this in effect could result in blood oozing out from the colon thereby users tend to have bloody stool.
- Nausea and even vomiting.
Senna leaf tea weight loss reviews, before and after photos
Are there people who have reported positive results with senna tea in their quest for weight loss? Any before and after photos? Reviews and testimonials on the weight loss can come from any source which makes it hard for one to believe.
It is therefore wise to ascertain whether it really works coupled with other efforts, showing before and after pictures from those who have tried it out.
So, let’s find out what reviews say. Here are some of the reviews found from online forums and on senna tea bag supplement products on online shops with relation to slimming and fat loss.
- “I have been drinking this tea for 3 weeks and I can already say that it has helped me with my weight. I have already lost 10 lbs in 3 weeks. I drink this tea twice a day.” Testimonial from Amazon.
- “I have been drinking it now for about a week and I have lost 9 lbs.”
Senna weight loss pills, dosage, tablet reviews, do they work?
There are many preparations of senna leaf and laxative medications. These include “powders, granules, tablets, oral infusions, and syrups. It is also available in combination with the dietary fiber psyllium to add bulk to the bowel contents.” [Wikipedia.org]. Today, people use products such as senna leaf pills and tablet supplements in order to increase the effect on weight loss.
There are senna tablets or pills found in health stores as well as online commercial sites such as Amazon, CVS, Walmart and many other stores. This means they are over the counter supplements and may be used without prescription. But what is the right dosage for these tablets?
The most common use of senna is as a stimulant laxative. It works by stimulating intestinal peristalsis causing bowel movements thereby eliminating stored waste faster and more effectively. The dosage for those pills is usually indicated on the bottle.
The most reviewed pills or tablets that are claimed to work are Senna-Gen tablets, which are generics, the Senna Tablets 8.6Mg which have over 5 0 reviews and an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars, and lastly Senna Plus Natural Vegetable Laxative with Stool Softener – 100 Tablets, which have over 100 reviews with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Sources and References
- Livestrong: http://www.livestrong.com/article/29624-drink-senna-tea-weight-loss/
- MedlinePlus: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/652.html
- Drugs.com: http://www.drugs.com/senna.html